Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Papa D's new chapter in life.

     October 27, 2011 I had a chest x-ray because I was coughing up red/pink phlegm (I have COPD) The x-ray showed a mass in my right lung. I was advised to check into the hospital for further evaluation. There I had a Bronchoscope which revealed Right Lung Abnormalities: A nearly obstructing (greater than 90% obstructed) mass was found proximally in the right upper lobe. The mass was endobronchial and fungating. The lesion was successfully traversed and is likely malignant. Endobronchial biopsies were performed in the right upper lobe and sent for histopathology examination, routine cytology, AFB analysis & culture and fungal analysis. Protected brushings were obtained in the right upper lobe and sent for routine cytology.
     I spent 2 days in the hospital and was given antibiotics and steroids to combat bronchitis. After being discharged I was given Prednisone and more antibiotics. The bronchitis has cleared up and my breathing has been better than ever.
      November 4, 2011 I saw my lung Doctor and was given the results of the biopsy which was confirmed as being lung cancer (Squamous Cell stage III A) one of the two most common lung cancers. It is not operable because of the location of the mass so chemo and radiation will probably be my treatments. Appointments were set up for me to have a PET scan, consultation with a cancer doctor and treatments.
    November 8, 2011 I had the Pet scan. The procedure for the PET scan consisted of having my blood sugar checked, then I was given a radioactive solution into my blood stream followed by about 40 minutes of relaxing before being put through the scanner which took about 25 minutes taking several scans of my body head to toe. The purpose for the scan is to see if I have cancer in any other parts of my body, I will know the results on Thursday. As for my present condition I feel great and am not in any pain. I will update this as I find out more.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment